I mentioned in a previous post that I’ve taken up the habit of singing in my car. I used to rely on my iPod to shuffle up some tunes I could serenade my imaginary passengers with, but constantly pressing the Next button got really old, really fast…and it ate up a lot of potential singing time. Seriously, why do I even put it on the shuffle setting if I’m just going to fast-forward 20 times?!
It made more sense to make a playlist of the songs I would want to sing…and that I knew the words to — that’s key! It didn’t take long to find about 30 songs in my iTunes library I knew by heart. But guess what I ended up doing?…fast-forwarding through that playlist to get to the one song I really wanted to hear….the one I needed to sing.
I realized I was still fast-forwarding because I wasn’t always in the mood to sing something inspirational or uplifting. Sometimes I wanted to shout out my frustration and anger like a wild animal, and sometimes I wanted to “feel my feelings” like a broken-hearted schoolgirl. Multiple playlists were in order….and here they are!
Car Songz : Happier… songs for when I feel like a silly, dancy well-adjusted human.
- The Move – Beastie Boys
- Bombastic – Bonnie McKee
- Boss – Fifth Harmony
- Bills – LunchMoney Lewis
- Don’t Stop Me Now – Queen
- What I Got – Sublime
- Why Can’t We Be Friends – War
- Hey You – 311
- Brick House – The Commodores
- No Rain – Blind Melon
- Everybody – Backstreet Boys
- It Takes Two – DJ EZ Rock & Rob Base
- Be OK – Ingrid Michaelson
- Flight of Icarus – Iron Maiden
Car Songz : Irritated…songs for when I can’t kick people but really want to.
- Don’t Hurt Yourself – Beyoncé
- Me, Myself and I – Vitamin C
- Break Stuff – Limp Bizkit
- Get Back – Ludacris
- How I Could Just Kill a Man – Rage Against the Machine
- Stronger – Kanye West
- Bodies – Drowning Pool
- You Oughta Know – Alanis Morisette
- One Step Closer – Linkin Park
- …Baby One More Time – Britney Spears
Car Songz : Saddish…songs for when I’m not really sad and don’t have the energy to be happy or irritated but end up crying when I sing them.
- Creep- Radiohead
- It’s Time – Imagine Dragons
- Shooting Star – Bad Company
- Cough Syrup – Young the Giant
- Purple Rain – Prince
- More than Words – Extreme
- Halo – Beyoncé
- Beautiful – Christina Aguilera
- God Give Me Strength – Kristen Vigard
- Everybody Hurts – R.E.M.
I know a few of these could probably be on one of the other lists, but it works for me at the moment! How about you? Do you have a go-to song for when you’re feeling Saddish, Irritated or Happier?
It occurred to me that I also need another playlist! A little rearranging and a few additions, and now I have…
Car Songz : Power…songs for when I need to remember I am a Goddess. 👑
- Hit Me With Your Best Shot – Pat Benatar
- Run the World – Beyoncé
- Roar – Katy Perry
- Bitch – Meredith Brooks
- Conqueror – Estelle
- Girl on Fire – Alicia Keys
- I’m Every Woman – Whitney Houston
- Fighter – Christina Aguilera
- ***Flawless – Beyoncé
- I Will Survive – Gloria Gaynor
- Baby I’m a Star – Prince
- Confident – Demi Lovato
- So What – P!nk